Toasted Millet Salad with Cucumber, Avocado and Lemon
Yields 4 servings
- ½ cup millet
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound cucumbers, quartered lengthwise into 1/2-inch spears, then cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup packed mint leaves
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, optional
- 1 avocado, pitted & sliced into quarters
- Toast millet in a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pan continuously until the millet begins to crackle and become fragrant, around 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 ¼ cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover the mixture and bring to a simmer, cooking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix with cooked grains. Let mixture sit covered for 10 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and let cool to room temperature.
- Make the vinaigrette while cooking the millet. First combine lemon zest, lemon juice and honey in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and whisk again. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss cooled millet, cucumber, mint, almond and half of the lemon vinaigrette. Serve the salad and top individual portions with avocado quarters and additional dressing if desired.
Nutrition per serving: 370 calories, 32 g carbohydrates, 26 g fat, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein, 80 mg sodium, 7 g sugar.
Recipe from: cooking.nytimes.com