Acorn Squash & Lentil Soup
Serving size: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 medium acorn squash, peeled, seeded & cubed
- 4 cups low-sodium broth
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 24 oz. can roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute, then add thyme and paprika and stir well.
- Add squash, broth, lentils, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Mix well and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and squash are soft. Turn off heat and remove from burner.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup in pot until smooth. Alternatively, blend soup in blender in batches until smooth. Allow flavors to meld for 10 minutes and serve. Garnish with nutmeg if desired.
Nutrition per serving: 239 calories, 36 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 12 g fiber, 14 g protein, 387 mg sodium, 6 g sugar.
Recipe from: foodandnutrition.org