Baby Spinach Salad with Dates and Almonds
Yields 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp. wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. sumac
- 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- 5-6 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small pitas, torn into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3.5 oz. dates, pitted, and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds, chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, onions, and dates with a pinch of salt. Let marinate for 20 minutes. Drain the extra vinegar and discard.
- In a skillet, heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the pita pieces and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring regularly, until pita pieces are golden brown.
- Next add the almonds and continue to cook until the pita is crunchy and almonds are toasted, around 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the sumac, chili flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.
- Toss the spinach with the pita mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add the dates, red onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: 420 calories, 44 g carbohydrates, 15 mg cholesterol, 26 g fat, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein, 260 mg sodium, 15 g sugar.
Recipe from: cooking.nytimes.com