Blueberry Barbecue Baked Beans
Serving size: 6 servings
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, such as cannellini or navy, drained, and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 tsp. minced jalapeno
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- In a medium saucepan, add olive oil and onion, cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, then add garlic.
- Once garlic is fragrant, add beans, molasses, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder and ginger. Continue to stir and let thicken for 5-8 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of blueberries and let marinate with beans.
- Add liquid smoke. Stir and cook another 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add remaining blueberries, jalapeno, lime zest and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil.
Nutrition per serving: 240 calories, 49 g carbohydrates, 2 g fat, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein, 25 mg sodium, 25 g sugar.
Recipe from: Healthfullyeverafter.com