Buckwheat, Apple, Cranberry Avocado Salad
Serving size: 4-6 Servings
- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- LEMON VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS:
- 3 to 5 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Black pepper, ground
- Rinse buckwheat groats in a colander with cold water. Then combine buckwheat and water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, decrease heat to simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir occasionally to prevent groats from burning. Once tender, strain and rinse groats until water runs clear.
- Place groats in a bowl and toss with apple, greens, cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, garlic, sea salt and black pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Add remaining lemon juice if desired and season with salt and pepper. Divide servings onto plates and top with sliced avocado.
Nutrition per serving: 260 calories, 37 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein, 25 mg sodium, 12 g sugar.
Recipe from: loveandlemons.com