Carrot Millet Salad
Yields 6 servings
- 1 cup uncooked millet, rinsed & drained
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 of a small red onion, very thinly sliced, rings separated
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped or 1 tbsp. dried dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine millet, water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium/low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and put carrots on top of cooked millet. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer millet and carrots to a large serving bowl. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and honey. Pour mixture over cooked millet and add red onion, raisins and dill. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper. Prior to serving sprinkle with feta or goat cheese if desired.
Nutrition per serving: 250 calories, 38 g carbohydrates, 10 mg cholesterol, 9 g fat, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein, 160 mg sodium, 11 g sugar.
Recipe from: yummly.com