Celeriac Root Potato Latkes
Yields 8 servings - 32 latkes
- 2 small celeriac, peeled
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour substitute
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds, ground
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Set aside 1-2 rimmed baking sheets.
- Using a box grater, coarsely grate the celeriac root into a large bowl, using the 1/3-inch-wide holes of the grater.
- Next, peel the potatoes and grate into a separate bowl. Add the lemon juice and toss, then grate the onions into the potato bowl and mix.
- Using a clean kitchen towel, transfer the potato mixture onto the middle of the towel. Gather the corners of the towel, twisting the towel tight and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Return the potato mixture to the bowl containing the celeriac. Add the flour, eggs, salt, pepper, and celery seeds and mix until combined.
- Add 1/3 inch of oil to a skillet and heat to medium high. Once heated, add 1/4 cup of the latke mixture to the skillet and flatten. Fry until golden brown, around 2-3 minutes and flip continuing to fry on the other side. Remove from pan and drain excess oil on a plate with paper towel. You can then transfer the latke to a baking sheet (remove paper towel) and warm in the oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Nutrition per serving: 440 calories, 38 g carbohydrates, 95 mg cholesterol, 30 g fat, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein, 380 mg sodium, 3 g sugar.
Recipe from: epicurious.com