Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Yields 6 servings
- 4 Tbsp. butter or dairy-free butter
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or brown rice flour
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 quarts (64 oz.) low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups (16 oz.) water
- 4 cups bite-sized pieces of roasted chicken or turkey
- 1 cup whole milk or coconut milk
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Stir occasionally.
- Add flour and stir to mix, ensuring all vegetables are covered with the flour.
- Next, add wild rice then slowly add stock and water, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover the saucepan, cooking for about 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken or turkey and cook an additional 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: 420 calories, 32 g carbohydrates, 110 mg cholesterol, 13 g fat, 3 g fiber, 43 g protein, 280 mg sodium, 5 g sugar.
Recipe from: foodandwine.com