Collard Greens with Bacon
Serving size: 4 servings
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 bunches collard greens, washed
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the stems from the collard greens. Layer leaves on top of one another and roll them up, then cut into thin strips.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Add collard greens and mix to combine all ingredients. Cover the skillet and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste test to ensure collards are tender. Remove from heat and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 170 calories, 25 g carbohydrates, 5 mg cholesterol, 6 g fat, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein, 470 mg sodium, 6 g sugar.
Recipe from: foodnetwork.com