Serving size: 6 servings
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup coconut milk, canned
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- Rinse lentils and remove any debris. In a large saucepan, add 3 cups of water and lentils to pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- In a separate pan, bring 2 cups of water and brown rice to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 45-50 minutes or until rice is thoroughly cooked. Set aside when done.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent. Add tomato sauce, coconut milk, and seasoning and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked lentils, mixing well, and cook another 15-20 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve lentil mixture over rice. Top with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition per serving: 349 calories, 51 g carbohydrates, 51 mg cholesterol, 11 g fat, 11 g fiber, 13 g protein, 362 mg sodium, 8 g sugar.
Recipe from: simpleveganblog.com