Okra and Potato Hash
Yields 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp. whole brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh okra, cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- 2 tsp. cumin, ground
- 2 tsp. coriander, ground
- 1 tsp. turmeric, ground
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add mustard seeds and cook for 10 seconds or until seeds begin to pop.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Mix in the potatoes, red pepper, and salt. Cover the skillet and reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add in the okra, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Continue to cook on low, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and okra are tender.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 340 calories, 34 g carbohydrates, 13 g fat, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein, 630 mg sodium, 4 g sugar.
Recipe from: myrecipes.com