Quinoa Black Bean Chili
Serving size: 8 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 15.5 oz. cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 T. minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, bring rinsed quinoa and water to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes, add garlic, chili powder and cumin, cook 1 more minute. Stir in tomatoes, black beans, bell peppers, zucchini, jalapeno & chipotle pepper and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a light boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium low, simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add quinoa and corn, cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat and serve. Add cilantro to soup or individual bowls.
Nutrition per serving: 288 calories, 52 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, 12 g fiber, 14 g protein, 405 mg sodium, 8 g sugar.
Recipe from: google.com