Savory Oat Groats and Kale
Serving size: 6 servings
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup oat groats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- Crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
- Lemon wedges
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. Tuscan kale, stemmed, & cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium leek, white & pale-green parts only, cut into matchsticks, & rinsed well
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and leek and cook until translucent, around 4 minutes. Add half of the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Mix in the carrot and oat groats, cook for one minute. Then add the stock, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the kale and cook until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the kale mixture to the groats mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and groats are tender, around 5 minutes. Season with pepper and red pepper flakes. Garnish with Parmesan and lemon.
Nutrition per serving: 260 calories, 13 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein, 10 mg sodium, 4 g sugar.
Recipe from: meaningfuleats.com