Smoky Carrot Dip
Yields 3 cups or 12 servings
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 lbs. carrots, trimmed & peeled
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, canned
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 cup parsley, coarsely chopped, plus leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toast almonds until fragrant, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven to let cool and set aside.
- Slice carrots in half lengthwise. Next, slice carrots into four pieces crosswise. Toss cut carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread out evenly onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cook for about one hour, stirring the carrots once or twice for even cooking. When done, carrots should start to wrinkle and lightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Transfer cooled carrots to a food processor. Add garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, pepper, paprika, parsley, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and almonds. Process until smooth. Add more oil if needed to create a smoother dip. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer mixture to a serving bowl, drizzle with more olive oil, and top with parsley leaves if desired.
Nutrition per serving: 170 calories, 11 g carbohydrates, 14 g fat, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein, 370 mg sodium, 4 g sugar.
Recipe from: bonappetit.com