Thai Vegetarian Pineapple Fried Rice
Serving size: 6 servings
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 to 4 cups rice, cooked
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce or fish sauce
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red or green chili, sliced thin OR 1/4 to 3/4 tsp. dried crushed chili flakes
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1-2 egg
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted whole cashews
- Fresh lime juice, optional
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package instructions. When cool, mix rice with 1 tablespoon oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce or fish sauce with curry powder.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Add shallots, garlic and chili pepper, mix and sauté for 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock at a time when the pan becomes dry.
- Add the egg to the frying pan and whisk until cooked.
- Add the carrot and peas. Sauté for 2 minutes and add more stock if needed.
- Add cooked rice, pineapple chunks, currant or raisins, and cashews. Mix well.
- Add the sauce mixture and combine. Cook mixture over medium high heat for 5-8 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat and taste. Adjust seasonings as needed. Serve with lime juice, scallions and cilantro as desired.
Nutrition per serving: 380 calories, 58 g carbohydrates, 55 mg cholesterol, 14 g fat, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein, 420 mg sodium, 11 g sugar.
Recipe from: thespruceats.com