Amaranth Lemon Cookies
Serving size: 24 servings
- 1 ½ cups amaranth flour
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter
- ¾ cup turbinado or light brown sugar
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 flax egg
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Flax egg: Mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes until the mixture has gelled.
- Combine amaranth flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine flax egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, coconut oil or butter, sugar and water.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, spoon cookie batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- For a chewier cookie, omit tapioca starch and add an additional ½ cup amaranth flour, 1 tsp. vanilla and ¼ cup shredded coconut flakes.
Nutrition per serving: 83 calories, 14 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 1 g protein, 60 mg sodium, 7 g sugar.
Recipe from: vitacost.com