Crispy Jackfruit Carnitas
Yields 4 servings
- 20 oz. can of Jackfruit packed in water, drained
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. dry Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Drain the jackfruit and cut into thin slices. Put slices on a clean kitchen towel and wring out excess water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan and sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeno over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant, around 5-6 minute.
- Add the jackfruit and soy sauce to the onion mixture and lower the heat. Stir occasionally, uncovered for 3-5 minutes.
- When mixture is dry, add salt, sugar, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté until the jackfruit begins to caramelize and crisp. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve in tacos, enchiladas, burritos or burrito bowls with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition per serving: 220 calories, 39 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein, 530 mg sodium, 2 g sugar.
Recipe from: feastingathome.com