Serving size: 6 servings
- 4-5 heads of garlic, or approximately 45-50 cloves
- 2 onions
- 4 tbsp. butter (or substitute)
- 4 cups (32 oz.) chicken broth
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaf, or 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaf
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaf
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley leaf, minced, optional
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped, optional
- 1 lemon for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside an oven safe dish and add olive oil.
- Remove the outer papery skin of the garlic bulb and cut the top ¼ inch off the garlic bulb. Do not peel them completely.
- Place the garlic head cut side down in the oven safe dish and roast for 45-60 minutes. Remove garlic cloves from papery skin.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a large saucepan and add onions. Sauté onions over medium heat, stirring constantly until onions are translucent. Add thyme, oregano, basil, salt and pepper and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic to onion mixture. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add milk. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth, or transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Once blended, add mixture back to saucepan.
- Serve warm and garnish with fresh parsley, chives and a wedge of lemon for each bowl.
Nutrition per serving: 258 calories, 19 g carbohydrates, 22 mg cholesterol, 18 g fat, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein, 284 mg sodium, 7 g sugar.
Recipe from: wellnessmama.com