Millet Veggie Cakes
Serving size: 4 servings
- 1 cup low sodium broth
- 6 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg white
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup millet
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 3 ounces (3 cups) baby spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup shallot or onion, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil, then add millet. Cover and reduce to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Transfer millet to a large bowl.
- In the meantime, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot, carrot, garlic and thyme to the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes or until shallot is translucent. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the cooked millet. Add ¼ teaspoon salt, along with the egg and egg white. Mix to combine.
- Form 12 patties, approximately 2 tablespoons each.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to a skillet and heat to medium. Add half of the patties, cooking 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes on the other side. Repeat to cook the remaining patties. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition per serving: 200 calories, 23 g carbohydrates, 45 mg cholesterol, 9 g fat, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein, 390 mg sodium, 2 g sugar.
Recipe from: thefoodiephysician.com