Spiced Parsnip Cupcakes
Yields 12 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free substitute
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom or 1 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups grated parsnip
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set aside a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cardamom, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar, sugar, eggs, oil, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and the grated parsnips.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until fully cooked. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the muffin, remove and the toothpick should be clean. Let cool completely prior to frosting.
- To make the frosting, add cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla to your mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the ingredients until smooth. Spread on cupcakes and enjoy. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze.
Nutrition per serving: 340 calories, 31 g carbohydrates, 60 mg cholesterol, 24 g fat, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein, 125 mg sodium, 19 g sugar.
Recipe from: marthastewart.com