Sweet Potato & Sage Mac N’ Cheese
Serving size: 6 servings
- 1 medium, (1/2 lb.) sweet potato, peeled & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb. gluten-free pasta
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy, rice, or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/8 black pepper, ground
- 1/4 cup butter or a dairy-free option
- 10 to 12 large fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil, add sweet potatoes and return to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain water and transfer to a blender or food processor.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil, add a shake of salt and cook pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain water and return pasta to saucepan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, mustard, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add half of the sage and all of the garlic. Cook until aromatic, whisk in milk mixture, reduce heat to medium low and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sauce and lemon juice to the blender or food processor and blend until thick and smooth. Toss with the cooked pasta, reheating slowly if needed. Serve with the remaining sage.
Nutrition per serving: 482 calories, 86 g carbohydrates, 10.6 g fat, 12 g fiber, 17 g protein, 206 mg sodium.
Recipe from: realsimple.com