Vegan Crab Cakes
Yields 4 servings or 2 crab cakes per serving
- 24 oz. young jackfruit canned in water, drain, rinse well, squeeze and pat dry, chop until it resembles lump crab meat
- 2 Tbsp. flax seed, ground mixed with 6 Tbsp. water, let sit for ten minutes to thicken
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Old Bay Spice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. chives, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 1 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free if desired)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix ground flax seed with water and let sit for 10 minutes until thickened.
- In a large bowl, whisk mustard, Old Bay Spice, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and lemon juice until combined.
- Add the jackfruit, flax egg, chives, cilantro, and bread crumbs and mix well.
- Using clean hands, form the mixture into 8 patties. Place the patties in the refrigerator for one hour prior to cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place patties on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with oil.
- Squeeze lemon juice on the top of the patties and bake for around 10 minutes or until golden brown. Flip patties, squeeze more lemon juice on them and bake an additional 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve with tartar sauce, sriracha, lemon juice or your favorite dip.
Nutrition per serving: 310 calories, 63 g carbohydrates, 15 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fat, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein, 500 mg sodium, 34 g sugar.
Recipe from: veganosity.com