Yields 10 serving
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 lbs. watercress, tough stems removed, chopped
- 1½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped & divided
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the watercress to the saucepan, stirring until leaves are wilted. Let soup cool, then begin to puree soup using an immersion blender or separate into batches using a blender. Puree until smooth. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, and more lemon juice if desired.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cream with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Fold in 1 ½ tablespoons of chives.
- Reheat the soup over low heat. Divide into individual servings and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and remaining chives.
Nutrition per serving: 310 calories, 31 g carbohydrates, 20 mg cholesterol, 8 g fat, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein, 790 mg sodium, 3 g sugar.
Recipe from: bonappetit.com