Soy Free Diets
About the Allergen
- Soybeans are part of the Fabaceae botanical family. This botanical family consists of many different plant foods such as peanuts, pea, alfalfa sprouts, carob, chickpea, green bean, lentil, and lima bean, among others.
- Soy allergy is most common during childhood, but is typically outgrown during the school age years.
When replacing a food allergen, you will need to focus on incorporating a variety of whole foods in your diet that contain the nutrients you’re missing due to eliminating the problem food.
- Green cooked soybeans are rich in fiber, protein, vitamin C, thiamin, folate, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Nutrients vary depending on the type of soy product you are consuming. If eliminating soy from your diet, use a variety of these foods as alternatives:
- Fiber: beans, legumes, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds
- Protein: meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds
- Vitamin C: vegetables, fruit
- Thiamin: beans, legumes, corn flour, sunflower seeds, nuts, chicken, lamb, oats, barley, rice, pork
- Folate: beans, legumes, poultry, peanuts, liver, sunflower seeds, spinach, asparagus, avocados, artichokes
- Calcium: sesame seeds, sardines, almonds, salmon, dark leafy greens, beans, legumes, fortified foods such as orange juice and non-dairy beverages
- Iron: meat, poultry, beans, legumes, fortified cereals, seeds, nuts, and whole grains including teff, amaranth, wheat, corn, quinoa
- Magnesium: nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, fish, cocoa, whole grains, dark leafy greens, potatoes
- Avoid edamame, miso, natto, soya, soy products (butter, milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, flour), soy nuts, soy sauce, tamari, tempeh, tofu, and textured vegetable protein. This list is not all inclusive.
- Soy oil and soy lecithin are typically tolerated by those with a soy allergy due to being overly processed. Check with your allergist to see if these products are safe for you.
Alternatives and Suggested Products
- Suggested products include:
- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos (soy sauce substitute)
- Ripple (plant based, dairy-free beverage)
- Miso Master Organic Chickpea Miso or Brown Rice Miso
- Ocean’s Halo soy-free sauces
- Earth’s Balance Soy-free Buttery Spread
NOTE: Always double check the allergy statement on any products you purchase. Food manufacturers may change their ingredients at any time.