Cauliflower | Superfood of the Month
Description & Health Benefits
- Cauliflower is part of the Brassicaceae or Cruciferae botanical family which includes various foods such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, collard greens, and turnip to name a few.
- Foods from the Brassicaceae family contain multiple antioxidants including glucosinolates which contribute to the strong smell of cooked cauliflower. These antioxidants may contribute to a reduction in cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- Vitamin C supports healthy bones and teeth, repair and maintenance of cartilage, wound healing, and increases absorption of iron.
- Vitamin K is involved in blood clotting and bone metabolism.
- Vitamin B6 is involved in brain development during pregnancy and infancy, protein metabolism, and immune function.
- Folate is required to make DNA and other genetic material and thus is very important during pregnancy to reduce the risk of neural tube defects.Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins C and K, and a good source of vitamin B6, folate, and fiber.
- Fiber supports healthy digestion by preventing constipation and may help to control weight.
Purchasing, Selecting, Storing, and Preparing Turmeric
- Purchase fresh or frozen cauliflower.
- Select fresh cauliflower with a creamy white color and compact clusters. The green leaves surrounding the base should be a vivid or bright green.
- Avoid cauliflower heads that are discolored or contain brown spots. You may be able to find cauliflower varieties that are colored purple or green.
- Store fresh cauliflower in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Prepare cauliflower by steaming, boiling, sautéing, roasting, mashing, or ricing. Eat raw with your favorite dip. Lightly cook to retain the most nutrients in cauliflower.
1 cup raw cauliflower
Calories: 27 | Protein: 2.05 g | Fat: 0.30 g | Carbohydrate: 5.32 g | Fiber: 2.1 g | Calcium: 24 mg | Magnesium: 16 mg | Potassium: 320 mg | Vitamin C: 51.6 mg | Folate: 61 µg | Vitamin A: 0 IU
1 cup cooked cauliflower
Calories: 14 | Protein: 1.14 g | Fat: 0.28 g | Carbohydrate: 2.55 g | Fiber: 1.4 g | Calcium: 10 mg | Magnesium: 6 mg | Potassium: 88 mg | Vitamin C: 27.5 mg | Folate: 27 µg | Vitamin A: 7 IU